WHAT IS HEAVEN LIKE?
by Alan Yusko
Well first off, heaven is a place for the saved ONLY. There will be no God rejectors in heaven. If you wish to go to heaven then just accept the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal Saviour and Lord. That is the only way to go to heaven.
What does the Bible say about heaven. Well the Bible gives us some clues but does not go into great detail about the future destination of the saved. Why is that so? Well I believe that heaven will be so great and glorious that our minds cannot contain the blessings and riches of heaven. It hasn't even entered into our minds the good things God has prepared for His people in heaven.
"But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." (1 Corinthians 2:9)
So because heaven will be so glorious I'm hard pressed to fully describe it. However the Word of God does have some clues and even a brief description of heaven. So read on and I'm sure you will be blessed.
HEAVEN IS A PLACE OF REWARDS
"Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great [is] your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you." (Matthew 5:12)
"Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward [is] great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets." (Luke 6:23)
HEAVEN IS A PLACE WHERE GOD IS WORSHIPPED
"And the four beasts had each of them six wings about [him]; and [they were] full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come. And when those beasts give glory and honour and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who liveth for ever and ever, The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying, Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created." (Revelation 4:8-11)
HEAVEN IS A PLACE WHERE GOD LIVES
"Look down from thy holy habitation, from heaven, and bless thy people Israel, and the land which thou hast given us, as thou swarest unto our fathers, a land that floweth with milk and honey." (Deuteronomy 26:15)
"Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven." (Matthew 10:32,33)
HEAVEN IS A PLACE OF EXCEEDING JOY
"Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present [you] faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy," (Jude 1:24)
"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field." (Matthew 13:44)
TREASURE MAY BE STORED IN HEAVEN
"Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me." (Mark 10:21)
NAMES OF THE SAVED ARE WRITTEN IN HEAVEN
"Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven." (Luke 10:20)
THERE ARE NO TEARS OR SADNESS IN HEAVEN
"And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away." (Revelation 21:4)
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF HEAVEN FROM THE WORD OF GOD, THE BIBLE
- "And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
- 2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
- 3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God [is] with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, [and be] their God.
- 4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
- 5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
- 6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
- 7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
- 8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
- 9. And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.
- 10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,
- 11 Having the glory of God: and her light [was] like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal;
- 12 And had a wall great and high, [and] had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are [the names] of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel:
- 13 On the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates.
- 14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.
- 15 And he that talked with me had a golden reed to measure the city, and the gates thereof, and the wall thereof.
- 16 And the city lieth foursquare, and the length is as large as the breadth: and he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand furlongs. The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal.
- 17 And he measured the wall thereof, an hundred [and] forty [and] four cubits, [according to] the measure of a man, that is, of the angel.
- 18 And the building of the wall of it was [of] jasper: and the city [was] pure gold, like unto clear glass.
- 19 And the foundations of the wall of the city [were] garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation [was] jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald;
- 20 The fifth, sardonyx; the sixth, sardius; the seventh, chrysolite; the eighth, beryl; the ninth, a topaz; the tenth, a chrysoprasus; the eleventh, a jacinth; the twelfth, an amethyst.
- 21 And the twelve gates [were] twelve pearls; every several gate was of one pearl: and the street of the city [was] pure gold, as it were transparent glass.
- 22 And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.
- 23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb [is] the light thereof.
- 24 And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.
- 25 And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there.
- 26 And they shall bring the glory and honour of the nations into it.
- 27 And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither [whatsoever] worketh abomination, or [maketh] a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life." (Revelation 21:1-27)
- 1. And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.
- 2 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, [was there] the tree of life, which bare twelve [manner of] fruits, [and] yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree [were] for the healing of the nations.
- 3 And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:
- 4 And they shall see his face; and his name [shall be] in their foreheads.
- 5 And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.
- 6. And he said unto me, These sayings [are] faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly be done.
- 7 Behold, I come quickly: blessed [is] he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.
- 8 And I John saw these things, and heard [them]. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things.
- 9 Then saith he unto me, See [thou do it] not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.
- 10 And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand.
- 11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.
- 12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward [is] with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
- 13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
- 14 Blessed [are] they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
- 15 For without [are] dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.
- 16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, [and] the bright and morning star.
- 17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
- 18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
- 19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book.
- 20. He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
- 21 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ [be] with you all. Amen. (Revelation 22:1-21)